Pen making update Y2 W15: Full Steam Ahead

So, first of all I would like to ask some questions. If you could answer in the comments I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

1. Do you still like these updates?

2. Is there anything you would like to see more of in these posts?

3. Is there anything you would like to see less of in these posts?

4. Is there anything that I don’t include that you think I should?

That’s it. Now on with the usual stuff.

* Pen Making

I have been hard at work this week making a bunch of pens. I am going back to basics with my designs and really trying to nail them and improve the aesthetics. Sharper edges on the designs that call for it. Better angles on the cut offs, that sort of thing.

All of the following pens are made using my own blanks. I am thinking of coming up with specific mixes and if I do I am going to name the blanks range after my wife. It goes away slightly from the mythological naming convention but I want to name something after her.

First up is the Zeus. I have reduced the [cut off angles](https://i.imgur.com/A8w7TVB.jpg) on this design and found that it actually looks [better](https://i.imgur.com/W1UE5Y4.jpg) than having the longer cut offs. It still looks unique and keeps the look I wanted. Here it is with the [cap off](https://i.imgur.com/mP8YBso.jpg).

Next is the Titan, this is the one in the [cover image](https://i.imgur.com/YP9yBRz.jpg). This material was poured over multiple days from the left over resin on a bunch of blanks, each one of these blanks is truly unique and will never get a similar mix. I have used a sanding block to do the ends making sure the [sharp edges](https://i.imgur.com/4k7Bx5Q.jpg) are kept on the ends rather than slightly rounding them off. Here it is with the cap off and [ebonite section](https://i.imgur.com/Ztz5Wkf.jpg).

The Aphrodite I have only changed very [slightly](https://i.imgur.com/MjPf1GQ.jpg). I have widened the narrow end at the end of the barrel slightly and I have turned the while blank to the correct width so there is no change in diameter between the cap and barrel. Again, [cap off](https://i.imgur.com/hixz4rR.jpg) time.

With the Mars I have taken what I did with the Titan and applied it here too. Meaning that I used the sanding block to sand the [pointed ends](https://i.imgur.com/1y1LkjL.jpg) of the pen. This allowed it to keep the sharpness of the point. I am really digging how it turned out, [cap off](https://i.imgur.com/6R85mLB.jpg).

The Skadi is a design I don’t make very often. It is a bit of a pain to make because of all the [straight edges](https://i.imgur.com/AWHvsKG.jpg) but I figured I had better try to improve the processes and it was the one which started me off down this path of improvement. I used a hand saw to cut off the ends rather than the dremel. I still need to work on the angles but it is nearly there. [Cap off](https://i.imgur.com/oVzQ6aw.jpg)

Would love to hear what you guys think of the above improvements and the blanks.

As usual feel free to give feedback or suggestions in the comments. Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones and stay safe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.